Wednesday 1 October 2008

Focus Group

The target audience for my music video will be of mixed gender aged 16 to 20. This reflects the genre's popularity with older teenagers and young adults. This song will probably be more popular with females, therefore my focus group is comprised of 5 girls and 3 boys aged between 16 and 20. This provides me with a variety of opinions which can help me gain information on my target audience and their demands of a music video. Thus I can use this feedback to fit as much in my video as possible and entertain/satisfy my audience.

They liked my song choice as it was something different and not massively popular/famous (this helps as the song doesn't have a famous video and people won't be expecting of mine). They liked my idea of the mix of a narrative and live performance of the band. However. we concluded that this may be difficult to do and could jeopardise the quality of my production. Other positive notes were the setting of the live performance and the use actors around the same age as the target audience, helping the audience to be involved/related to it and thus being entertained.

Furthermore, with their help it was decided that the vocalist must be animated while singing and show a lot of expression along with the close ups of guitars, drums and piano to appeal to those watching who like instruments. Finally, they agreed that the editing must match the change in pace of the song as sometimes it is quick and other times quite slow. Also, the idea of having a phone or flowers crash to the wall in time with the first big drum hit was very popular.

1 comment:

SHSG Media Blogs said...

Excellent. effective use of focus group